Monday 20 February 2012

My 1969 (1968) Oldsmobile Cutlass

A few years ago I bought a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass- its a convertible, and I drive it only when its sunny out. If it looks cloudy, I leave it at home. My main client is all the way across town; I don't take it there due to the one hour drive on the freeway. Here is an early photo of the car taken just before I bought it:

Now I used to be a muscle car guy when I was younger- I had several Camaros- a 79, a 68 and an 84. All were very nice. Got married, and had kids, and suddenly sinking money into a 1984 Camaro didn't seem right anymore, so away it went. When finances improved, I started looking at GM A-body cars- Chevelles, Buicks, Pontiacs, etc. My good buddy Cory had (and still has) a 1969 Cutlass, and I got the bug again while at his place looking at his ride. I asked the wife what she thought about getting one, and her response: only if it's a convertible. I remembered. Didn't get one right away, as things changed: another kid, a layoff, etc. But when things settled again, I decided that I would, and so I went ahead and started looking again. Then I saw this beauty. Loved it, bought it, and have been pretty happy with it ever since. Here's a photo of Cory with his gold '69, and my '69 black beauty:
You migh be saying to yourself: Hey; that's not a '69, it's a '68! Well, when Cory and I went to look at the car, he noticed it right away. Turns out that the car was indeed a '69, but was rebuilt with a 1968 front end-- header, fenders and hood. I decided to get it anyway, since it never was intended to be an "investment" anyway- got it for a little less, too.
Needs a new ragtop, some body work, some frame work and some interior work. Oh well, what do you expect from an old car?
The family likes it (the wife likes driving it); here's one with the boys in it @ the car show a few years back:

Here is a more recent photo of my car at a local show this past summer:

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment